Commercial and Shareware Statistical Packages
Entries on this page are listed by developer home site rather than by
individual statistical software package. Statistical packages are listed
separately if they have their own www domain name.
- Aptech Systems. Developers of Gauss, a matrix and
statistical programming language. Particularly strong in econometrics. Originally for PCs,
now for PCs and Unix.
- Apteco. Developers of FastStats
marking data analysis software.
- Assistat. An educational and psychological statistics software package.
- Automatic Forecasting Systems. Developers of
Autobox software for time series and forecasting.
- Camo. Software for multivariate statistical analysis of large data sets.
- Cognos. Datamining, analysis and
forecasting software for business.
- Conceptual Software. Developers of DBMS/COPY, a
program for transferring data between a very wide range of statistical packages.
- CreoStat. Developers of StudySize
software for power calculations and
StudyResult software for standard tests. For Windows.
- CSIRO. The Australian government research and development organization.
Produces a number of software products which have been commercialised
- GeneRave. Statistical analysis of microarray gene
- Cytel. Software for exact inference in
contingency tables and logistic regression.
- Dataxiom Software. Producers of StatMost,
statistical analysis and graphics software for Windows, and DataTrix, a scientific
spreadsheet. StatMost represents a less expensive although still commercial alternative to
Statistica. Based in Los Angeles, California.
- DataDesk. Producers of DataDesk and
ActivStats for the Macintosh and Windows 95/NT. DataDesk has been one of the most popular
of the Macintosh statistical programs.
- Design Computing.
Developers of Gendex, an algorithmic toolkit for generating designs of
experiments. Based in Melbourne, Australia.
- DTREG. Classification and regression
trees. Phillip Sherrod, TN.
- Econometric Software. Developers of LIMDEP, an
econometrics program for linear and nonlinear models, limited and qualitative dependent
variable models, models for cross section, time series and panel data.
- ESB Consultancy. Developers of ESBStats -
Statistics for Everyone, a windows based program including graphics, an interface to
Office 97 and standard statistical methods up to multiple regression and time series.
Based in Boulder, Western Australia.
- Estima. Developers of the econometric time series
- EViews. Econometric analysis, forecasting and simulation.
Quantitative Micro Software.
- Expert Health Data Programming (EHDP).
Developers and distributors of Vitalnet software for analyzing large,
complex data sets.
- EZ-R Stats. An inexpensive script-based statistical
package for Windows designed for auditors and fraud investigators.
- Full Information Software. Developers of SORITEC,
an econometrics and statistical package for DOS and Windows.
- GraphPad Software. Developers of Prism, InStat
and StatMate software for scientific graphics, nonlinear regression, multiple regression
and basic statistics.
- Insureware. Actuarial modelling
for the property and casualty insurance industry. Based in Melbourne,
- Insightful. Developers of S-Plus.
- Institut Philippe-Pinel de Montreal, Statistics Consulting Group.
Developers of ROCTOOLS for analysis of receiver operating
- John Galt Solutions. Developers of
ForecastX family of products for business forecasting.
- Bell Labs. Part of Bell Labs Innovations. Produces S and AMPL, which is a
mathematical programming language. S has become the defacto standard computing environment
for the statistical research community, or the closest that we have to such a thing.
Although Lucent Technologies develop the S language, they do not market it; S is available
commercially only though the S-Plus implementation by Insightful.
- Manugistics. Developers of Statgraphics for Windows.
- MathSoft. Producers of MathCad and Axum.
- mathStatica. Builds on
Mathematica to solve the algebraic and symbolic problems of interest in
- MathTools. Developers of MatCom and Mideva
software for compiling Matlab code and converting it to C++. This company has recently
been acquired by MathWorks.
- MathWave. Developers fo EasyFit, a probability
distribution fitting program for Windows. Designed to facilitate reliability
- MathWorks. Producers of MATLAB. Site includes
archive of user contributed software.
- MaxStat. Easy to use basic statistical package. For Windows only.
- Models'n'Data. Teaching
package for the Mac. Doug Stirling, Massey University.
- Minitab. The world's most popular statistical
software for teaching introductory statistics courses. Includes list of companion texts.
- Muthén &
Produce Mplus software for statistical analysis with latent variables.
- NCSS. Number Cruncher Statistical System.
- NeuralDL. Produce NuMap, for neural
and conventional regression networks, and NuClass, for neural and
conventional classification networks.
- NLREG. Linear and nonlinear regression
analysis, surface and curve fitting. Phillip Sherrod, TN.
- Numerical Algorithms Group. Productors
of the NAG subroutine library.
- O-Matrix. A less expensive alternative to MATLAB
and Gauss for Windows. Add-ons for signal processing, Kalman filtering etc. Harmonic
- OxMetrics. Produce Ox, an econometric object-oriented
alternative to MATLAB and Gauss, free for academic use. Also PcGive, STAMP
and G@RCH software for econometrics, time series modelling and
- Palisade Corporation. Newfield,
New York, based developer of risk analysis, decision analysis and optimization software.
- Partek. Producers of Partek Pro
software for statistical analysis and visualization, with particular attention
to analysis of gene expression, multivariate analysis and pattern recognition.
- PISCES Conservation. Produces a range of
statistical software for Windows for analysing ecological data including Community
Analysis Package, Species Diversity and Richness, Population Estimation by Removal
Sampling and Simply Growth.
- Qlucore. Develop Glucore Gene
Expression Explorer for statistical analysis of microarray and other highly
- Rogue Wave Software. Provider of C++
toolboxes of numerical linear algebra routines, including IMSL Numerical Libraries and BLAS for Intel and Unix
- Salford Systems. Developers of CART
software for regression trees and data mining.
- SAS Institute. Producers of SAS and JMP.
- JMP. Highly interactive
statistical environment using dynamically linked graphics and data tables. Nearly full
featured student version available from Duxbury Press. Very interesting to compare this
with Minitab as a teaching package.
- Scientific Computing Associates.
- SmallWaters. Developers of AMOS
software for structural equation modelling.
- SNAP Survey Software.
Questionnaire design, data entry and analysis.
- SPSS. Statistical package for the social sciences.
One of the big four statistical programs.
- StataCorp. Producers of Stata statistical software for
Windows, Macintosh, Linux and Unix platforms. Australian distributors are Survey Design and Analysis Services, Melbourne.
- StatCrunch. An interactive statistical
package written in Java which you can run using your Web browser.
- Stat-Ease. Produce specialized
design-of-experiments software packages,
Design-Expert and Design-Ease, for use with multilevel factorial screening
designs, response surface methods and so on.
- Statistical Solutions. Based in Ireland, with
another office in Boston, the company was formed as a result of a management buyout of the
European operations of BMDP. Developer and exclusive distributor of Solas (for missing
data analysis) and nQuery Advisor (for sample size and power analysis).
- Statistical Solutions. A software consultancy and
development firm with offices in California and Michigan. Develops software solutions in
database design and statistical analyses in the biomedical and financial areas.
- Statistics 1.0. Shareware software for Windows by
- Statit. Producers of Statit open
systems software for data analysis for industry professionals.
- StatPac. Produces StatPac Gold survey and analysis
- StatSoft. Producers of Statistica, which is a
direct competitor to SPSS and SYSTAT, and which has received consistently excellent
reviews from the computing press. The site includes the Electronic Statistics Textbook,
which gives a brief introduction online to much of the statistical methodology which is
supported in the Statistica program.
- Statlets. An web accessible statistical package
written in Java. Free for small data sets, otherwise a monthly fee. NWP Associates.
- StatsDirect. A full-featured
statistical program released in 1999 for Windows. CamCode.
- Stat/Transfer. Software for moving data
between worksheets, databases and statistical packages. Free trial copy available.
- StatView. Well known package
originally developed for Mac environment, now owned by SAS and supporting both
Windows and Mac. This package was discontinued as of Dec 2002 and users are
encouraged to port to JMP produced by SAS.
- Systat Software. Develop SYSTAT, a
popular package for Windows. One of the oldest packages developed specifically
for an DOS/Windows environment.
- TexaSoft. Producers of KWIKSTAT and
- TSP International. Maker of the
econometrics package TSP.
- UNISTAT. Works as a stand-alone
package or an an Excel add-in. Includes a wide range of statistical
methodology including logistic regression, classification and clustering.
- VSN International. Distributors of GenStat and
- Watcom. Producers of C and Fortran compilers, in
particular the C compiler used in S-Plus. Includes prices.
- WinSPC. Statistical process control,
for Windows PCs, by DataSet Quality Systems.
- Wizard. Interactive statistics and visualization package for the Mac.