Windows Software Developers
Companies which develop commercial software for Microsoft Windows. Obviously not a
comprehensive list - mainly what I used myself:
- PKP's Software Archive.
A local archive of some of the more useful shareware and evaluation software packages.
Philip Pollett, University of Queensland.
- AllChars. Nice small freeware program giving
access to international characters through the english, or any other, keyboard.
- Canyon Software. Drag and file software. Like
Norton Commander for Windows. Many good features such as compare directories, but I've
moved back to ZipMagic and Windows Explorer.
- Corel Corporation. Draw, Quatro-Pro, WordPerfect
- Eudora. The most popular and best Windows email
package. Most users will find the free Eudora Light to be sufficient, but Eudora Pro is
also good value. The only serious competitor to Internet Explorer and Netscape mail
- Hummingbird Communications. Producers of Columbus,
eXceed and Maestro. PC to Unix and mainframe integration.
- Ipswitch. Windows-based shareware
internet products, including terminal emulation and the popular WS_FTP. WS_FTP LE is not only free but the clear
winner amongst ftp programs that I have used. Includes the full manual for WS_FTP online.
- MacKichan Software. Producers of Scientific
Workplace and Scientific Word, word processing interfaces to LaTeX and Maple.
- Mijenix. Developers of Freespace and Zip Magic,
wonderful programs for managing zip archives including on-the-fly compression of specified
files and directories. Both products work seemlessly with Windows Explorer. Also of
PowerDesk Utilities 98, a file management program which is has similarities with both
Windows Explorer and Norton Commander.
- Microsoft Corporation. Includes online support
for most Microsoft products - recommended.
- Netscape. You probably have this link built-in,
but I'm currently running Internet Explorer.
- QPC Software. Produces shareware QVT/Net
software for terminal emulation, ftp and mail.
- Quarterdeck. Internet and utilities for Macintosh
- QUEST. Qualcomm Enterprises
Software Technologies, producers of Eudora email software. The Australian distributors are
Lidcam Technology. Review of Eudora Pro 2.2 by David
Cartwright, Network Week.
- SafetyNet. Producers of system security and
- StarNet. Produce X-Win32, which
provides excellent X-windows Unix emulation for Windows PCs.
- Symantec. Producers of well known PC and Mac
utility programs, such as Norton AntiVirus, Desktop, Navigator, Utilities and Symantec
- TextPad. My choice of editor for Windows 95.
Helios Software Solutions.
- TortoiseSVN. Windows Shell
Extension for Subversion. Highly recommended.
- Travelling Software. Producers of LapLink, for
copying files between PCs.
- Vertisoft Systems. Makers of Windows
utilities Remove-It, Zip-It, Name-It Fix-It!
- Windows Commander. A shareware file manager
program. A Windows 95 clone of the old Norton Commander. Christian Ghisler.
- WinZip. Popular Windows compression and
uncompression program compatible with pkzip. Probably the best free zip manager for
Windows. (The best competition, ZipMagic, is not free.)