This page is part of the general reference section of StatSci.org.
These links may prove useful for organizing travel to conferences or visits to departments in other
parts of the world.
- TripAdvisor. The largest travel
community in the world, heaps of useful and candid reviews of hotels, sites
and so on. Highly recommended.
- Lonely Planet. General travel
information and slide shows for many countries.
- Orbit Global Travel
Guide. Online guides to Australia, Asia, Sweden and Pacific Islands.
- The Man in Seat Sixty-One. A lovely and extensive site
about train travel by one enthusiast. Mark Smith.
Useful Tools and Reference
- World Climate. What the weather is normally
like for tens of thousands of locations. Buttle and Tuttle.
- AccuWeather. Weather forecasts
for anywhere in the world.
- Expedia Maps. Maps and place finding for
anywhere in the world. Excellent. Microsoft.
- TV Schedules of the World. Buttle
- Interactive Currency Table. Display a
table of exchange rates in your currency of choice. Xenon Labs.
- Pacific Exchange Rate Service. Includes
the ability to plot exchange rates over time. Werner Antweiler, University of British
- BBC World Service. Includes a online
version of current broadcasts. The guide to radio broadcasts includes schedules of
programs and broadcast frequencies worldwide.
- Walkabout Travel Gear. US based seller
of travel equipment. Nice sections on international adaptors and so on.
- Cheaper than Hotels.
Discount rooms in good hotels in Australia, New Zealand, France, Belgium,
Spain, Holland, UK, Italy and the USA.
- World Standards.
Which countries use what electricity voltage, which plug system, what paper
size, drive on what side of the road etc, etc. A plea for standardisation and
a discussion of the historical reasons for diversity. Highly recommended.
Advice for Australians
- Consular Information for Australian
Travellers. From the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. Includes tips
for Australian travellers overseas, travel alerts and visa information for individual
countries and other advice.
- Australians Abroad. Resources for Australians
overseas. Includes a comprehensive Australian Film Database, many entertaining stories
from around the world, etc etc. Kate Juliff and Richard Rankin, Coolabah Systems.